Thursday, January 26, 2012

How it started

In mid 2011, my husband and I "went vegan." We knew this was the best way to eat healthy, eating foods straight outta nature's backyard. No meat! No dairy! It was my husband's idea. Not mine! I wasn't on board right away. I'm thinking, "No cheese? Eggs? Seafood? Poultry?" I was worried. What would we eat everyday? Fruits and veggies all day! Really? My husband doesn't cook or bake. He did before we got married, but that is another story. He suggested we buy some cookbooks. I was a bit excited because that gave me a good reason to shop on Amazon. I LOVE SHOPPING ON AMAZON! I'm always checking out their daily deals at least once a day! NEWAY So after a night of reading several comments about too many vegan books. I decided on The Vegan Table and The Joy of Vegan Baking both by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. I also bought Veganomicon (I feel like I say the title wrong every time the word comes out my mouth.) We were probably vegan for a few days if that. The vegan thing didn't last long. I cooked using some of the recipes from the vegan cookbooks. We tried and failed. We get an A for effort! Right? Some recipes were winners and too many were just nasty. The cookbooks were put on our bookshelf to collect dust. I was beginning to love the idea of eating vegan, but the reality of vegan eating was too big of a challenge that I wasn't ready to tackle. My husband would agree. We were not ready but how do we get there? I feel like we should get educated on eating a plant based diet, try eating a few plant based meals during the week, and slowly stop buying and eating crap! Crap = cow's milk, processed foods, meat from animals of all kind, etc. This is my plan. One day I will fully commit myself to eating a plant based diet but not today. I'm not quite ready. I want to use this blog to chronicle my adventures and misadventures of eating a plant based diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment